Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Update-Sweet and Sour Meatballs

So, in the last post, I thought I would try to make sweet and sour meatballs...I don't know why, but I was craving my Aunt Janet's meatballs and tried to come up with a substitute. I made them last night and they were too good not to share asap.

1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
2 eggs
2T butter
1 diced red onion
2 chopped green bell peppers
1 medium sized can of pineapple tidbits, with juice
1.5 small cans of 100% pineapple juice
1 regular can of tomato puree
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 small can of tomato paste
¼ c white vinegar
2T worchestershire sauce
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425. mix meat, eggs and about 2t salt/pepper. Form 1 inch diameter meatballs and place on oiled baking sheet (covered in foil for easy clean up). Put in oven for 20-25 minutes. In the mean time, make the sauce. Saute onion in butter until translucent. Dump the rest of the ingredients in the pot and season to taste. When meatballs are done, transfer to the sauce (scrape away any accumulated fat). Cook for about 5 minutes then eat!

From start to finish, this took me about a half hour. So easy and you'll never miss the sugar that most meatball recipes require.

No comments:

Post a Comment