Monday, November 21, 2011

Spacy Week

I completely forgot to post this weekend! I didn't even blow it off or shrug and say, oh well. Just forgot. I think that is because the week of Thanksgiving isn't even a real week. I take Wednesday off to have Thanksgiving with my family, so I have just a two day week. So, what am I really going to cook for two days? Is it even worth going to the grocery store? Actually, yes, it is worth going to the grocery store. Here's what I'm making on Monday and Tuesday nights:

Monday:

Brats with cabbage! Yes! again! I like it. And we received yet another head of cabbage in our CSA this past week--so now I have two heads of cabbage in my fridge. I don't really know what else to do with cabbage besides make cabbage rolls (really a St. Patrick's meal) or sauerkraut, but I don't want to make that in my house--stinky.

I'm lazy, and this recipe is in prior week plans...so, I'm not going to repost. Sorry.

Tuesday:

I tried to think of the farthest thing from Thanksgiving for the day before I eat turkey for five days in a row. So, fajita spiced skirt steak and sauted greens!

Create a wet rub for your steak by combining fajita or taco seasoning with some olive oil. It should be very dark and not runny--only like a 1/4 c in total. Drop your meat in and rub it all around. If you can marinate overnight, that's best. Grill to desired doneness.

For the greens: I don't really think that grilled skirt steak goes with greens, but again, they were in my CSA. So, use whatever veg for a side dish that you have on hand. But, here's what I like to do with my greens: roughly chop (kale, chard, spinach, anything) and set aside. Crisp up 2-3 pieces of bacon that are cut into lardons. Set aside and leave about 1T of bacon fat in the pan. Add 1/2 chopped onion and cook until translucent or slightly brown. Add the greens to the pan, salt and pepper generously. Saute until the greens are coated in the fat and have started to wilt slightly. Pour in about 1/4 - 1/3 c of white wine and stir vigorously. Continue to cook the greens for about 5 minutes more until they really start to shrink. Put the bacon back in the pan and add about 2t of freshly grated lemon zest. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Heaven. Seriously.

Happy Thanksgiving! Next week will be back to normal and I'll try to remember to take some photos of my Paleo Thanksgiving to post!

No comments:

Post a Comment