Sunday, November 13, 2011

Thoughts on Thanksgiving

Instead of creating a new meal plan this week, I'm just going to go back through some of my favorites that I've already posted. This week, we're having brats and cabbage, pork loins with greens, meatball marinara, and maybe butternut squash soup. So, instead of the usual post this week, I'm going to share my Thanksgiving plan!

I am so lucky that I get three Thanksgivings every year--one in July, and two in November (my family and in-laws). Thanksgiving is my favorite meal. I dream about Thanksgiving. But Paleo Thanksgiving? I don't know...do I want to mess with the meal of my life? Tyler's mom prepares a more traditional Thanksgiving and we already had an amazing summer Thanksgiving, so I think this year, an experiment wouldn't be too bad. So, here's how my family is doing Thanksgiving Paleo-style this year:

1. Turkey. A proper brine is essential. So is a free-range, grain/hormone/antibiotic free bird. I highly recommend the Williams Sonoma brine. It's the best and we use it every year. We follow traditional cooking instructions as far as oven temps and time, but here's what my sister and I do to the bird: stuff it with an apple sliced in half, a garlic bulb sliced in half, a lemon sliced in half, fresh thyme sprigs, an onion sliced in quarters and salt and pepper. We melt butter and paint it on the bird then salt and pepper it. We baste the bird with one bottle of white wine and when that runs out but more basting liquid is needed, we use chicken stock. This makes the most flavorful, juicy, amazing turkey (and gravy) ever.

2. Mashed potatoes. Can't have a Thanksgiving meal without potatoes. Just can't. This year, we'll mash our potatoes with a generous helping of grass-fed butter, whole milk, and full fat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. And salt, pepper and garlic powder, of course.

3. Roasted Brussel sprouts with bacon. These can be roasted the night before, or in the morning, and then finished before serving. Step 1 (roasting): rinse and cut off the ends of the sprouts. In a glass pyrex, mix the sprouts, salt, pepper and enough olive oil to coat. Roast at 400 for 30 minutes or until the outer leaves start to brown. Step 2 (mix-ins and finishing): in a large skillet, crisp up 4-5 slices of bacon that is cut into lardons. Transfer the bacon to a plate and remove all but 2T or so of bacon fat. Saute one diced onion until translucent. Add the sprouts back in and saute until the sprouts are warm. Add the bacon back in and saute until sprouts are hot.

4. Roasted root vegetables. Cut up any root veg you like in 1 inch cubes. I personally love parsnips, carrots, and sweet potatoes. Put all the cubes into a big Ziploc and pour in salt, pepper, dried thyme and some olive oil to coat. Shake it up. Spread onto a sheet pan and roast at 400 degrees until the veg are soft and slightly brown. Again, these are great because they can be made the night before. Then to serve, spoon into an oven-proof baking dish and cut up some butter slices and dot the top. Put in an oven until heated through, then mix and serve. Yum.

5. Paleo dressing. My mom makes the most sensational dressing ever. EVER. The thought of no dressing literally makes me sad. SAD. It must be had. I found this great web site that sells Paleo baking mixes. I'm going to buy a couple of the Classic Bread Mix for the dressing. Honestly, I have no idea what is in her dressing recipe. But, I do know there is sausage (heaven), onions, and mushrooms...there must be more...I'll find out and update.

6. Paleo dinner rolls. Again, mom makes AMAZING ROLLS. But, White Lion Baking also makes a Paleo roll mix. That's what we're serving up this year.

7. Paleo gravy. Must. Have. Gravy. And the turkey makes the best gravy. But, gravy has flour. Fear not! Paleo gravy!

drippings from turkey
1/2 c white wine
1/4 c almond flour
1/4 c arrowroot powder, mixed with 1/4 c water
3-4 c chicken stock
salt and pepper

skim the excess fat from the drippings, put back into roasting pan, deglaze with the wine--whisk to get all the good stuff off the bottom. combine the almond flour, arrowroot powder and 1 c of stock in a tupperware--shake until well combined and no lumps remain, making a slurry. Slowly whisk the slurry into the stock. Whisk in remaining stock. Once it starts to thicken, turn the heat off. Season with salt and pepper.

8. Paleo cranberry sauce. Traditional cranberry sauce is loaded with refined sugar. Ick. A paleo friendly version is sweetened with maple syrup and seasoned with cinnamon. Boil it down until you reach the desired consistency.

9. Paleo pumpkin pie. The piece de resistance. It can be Paleo and heavenly. I made this for the summer Thanksgiving and honestly think I like it better than traditional pumkin pie. It's so light and fluffy.

This can and will work. I'm so excited for our experiment this year! Only one and a half weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment