Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Work in Progress

I have one recipe to post today, and I'll update with more. We spent the weekend in Naches, in the middle of nowhere, and had no cell or internet service. And, I'm exhausted. I tried to think of something super simple and fast to make for dinner tonight and came up with Lamb with Mushrooms and Onions--I'm not really sure what to call it. I got the idea of using stew meat in an entree as opposed to a stew from Primal Palate. It's a great idea for quickly preparing a meal. I love to add mushrooms and onions to everything I can for an extra veggie boost. I also had some sweet potatoes from the farm share and thought the light sweetness would pair well with the savory lamb. I think it turned out quite perfect.


1 lb lamb stew meat, trimmed of excess fat and lightly salted
6-7 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 sliced onion
1/4 c red wine
3T chicken stock, beef stock, veal stock, whatever you have on hand--water will work too
1/2 t dried sage
1/2 t dried thyme
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1/4 c sour cream or Greek yogurt
1/4 c whole milk

Start with the potatoes--get them boiling. Melt 1T of butter in a pan, add the mushrooms and onion and some salt. At this point, I started trimming my meat of fat. Then I patted it dry with paper towels and sprinkled some salt. I think doing the trimming once the veg are going works well for the timing of this meal. Then melt 1T of butter with 1T of olive oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat. Brown the lamb in batches--avoid crowding the meat because it will steam instead of brown. Put the browned meat in a bowl so that the juices will accumulate. Yum. Turn the heat down to medium. Add the wine and stock, scrape the brown bits from the bottom. Add the sage and thyme and about 1/2 t of salt. Let the liquid boil for about a minute until it gets a little thick. Return the lamb to the pot with all the juices and stir it up. At this point, your mushrooms and onions should be nice and brown. Throw those in the pot too. Mix. Inhale. Drain the potatoes and put them back in the pot. Add the sour cream, milk, salt and pepper. Using an immersion blender, puree to smooth. Spoon the lamb over a pile of potatoes. So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment