Monday, January 23, 2012

Back to Basics

There have been some interesting articles posted in the Paleo blog community about what is "paleo", "primal", a mixture of both, or mixture of none. Here's the ultimate conclusion that I gleaned: do what works for you. The whole idea of "paleo" and "primal" is eliminating processed food, which includes modern grains, low fat dairy and sugar. Focus is also made on eliminating certain foods that cause insulin spikes, i.e. legumes, grains, low-fat dairy and, of course, sugar, and the accompanying dietary effects, i.e. belly fat. Grass-fed organic meat and organic produce are key. The rest seems to vary from source to source.

Certain people tolerate some full fat, raw and organic dairy. I'm one of them. People that aren't trying to lose weight can tolerate some starchy vegetables, primarily potatoes. Again, I'm one of those people. In fact, for some people that are very physically active, the argument has been made that some starch, like that found in potatoes and sweet potatoes, is essential to avoid losing lean muscle. I consider myself active and before I added some potatoes back in, thought I might be getting a little on the "scary-skinny" side, which is so not my goal. My goal is to get lean and healthy and have more energy.

I thought a refresher might be useful this week. For breakfast three days a week, I eat full-fat, organic Greek yogurt with cut-up fruit, usually an apple, which is very low on the glycemic index. I have not found raw yogurt in any form, but the bacteria found in yogurt is supposed to counteract the ill affects of processed dairy. Remember, processed and low fat dairy removes the healthy fat and bacteria to counteract the sugar in dairy. So, what's left is basically sugar water and a scary insulin spike. On occasion, I also add some raw goat or sheep cheese to certain meals (goat and sheep milk is easier on the digestive system than cow). Once I removed grains, the "vehicle" if you will for cheese was also pretty much eliminated. So, cheese is not a big part of my diet anymore. And my digestive system thanks me! The other breakfasts of the week revolve around eggs and whatever is in my fridge to add to them. During the work week, I get two scrambled eggs from the little deli in my office building--they make them just for me. I think you'll find that special requests are honored anywhere if you just ask.

My snacks are nuts, fruit or veg. Costco makes this awesome jalapeno and Greek yogurt dip that pairs perfectly with carrots and celery. My lunch is usually left overs from the night before. I also found a sandwich place by my office that carves their own meat for sandwiches--they'll usually cut me a couple slices and throw in a side of sauteed veg. Again, it's easy to get what you want by just asking for it.

Sometimes I don't feel like making dinner. AT ALL. I keep a stock of meat in my freezer and canned (or boxed!) tomatoes in my pantry. It is remarkable what can be done with just these two ingredients. With those two ingredients, I can add whatever vegetables and spices in a pot and an hour later, have a great meal. That's how the pulled pork and tomato stew came about.

I hope this helps and I encourage research, reading and trial and error to find the perfect combination. Paleo is not a "diet"; it is a lifestyle change. A conscious effort to take back the control over what is put in our bodies. You will lose weight and look and feel better; this is inevitable, but not the purpose. Processed food in all forms has an unbelievable amount of crap in it that is purposely hidden from consumers. Watch Food, Inc. if you don't believe me. The amount of ignorance that is encouraged by the few major corporations that manufacture most of our food is horrifying--this includes most supermarket meat, dairy and produce. Food does not have to come in a box or a bag to be "processed". There are a multitude of local farm delivery services, CSAs and grocery stores that focus on organic, local and sustainable food. It is essential to research and make your own conscious and informed decisions about what you buy and eat.

Can anyone be perfect in this goal? I don't think so. But, every little change makes a difference. And the proof is the pudding: your belly will thank you, your digestive tract will thank you, your skin will thank you, your brain will thank you--your body has the chance to operate on the fuel it was intended to use and the result is its way of saying thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment