Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Beef Stroganoff

What I'm making tonight. I love beef stroganoff. It might be one of my favorite foods ever. When we were in Wales last year, Tyler and I had the best stroganoff I think I've ever eaten. I still dream about that bowl of goodness.

Beef Stroganoff

4T butter
1 lb top sirloin or tenderloin, cut thin into 1 inch wide strips
½ c sliced onion (or shallots)
½ lb sliced cremini mushrooms
¼ c sherry vinegar or red wine
Salt and pepper to taste
½ t dry thyme or tarragon
1 c sour cream at room temp
Mashed potatoes (if you want something to soak up the goodness)

Melt 2T of butter in a hot dutch oven or skillet. Add the beef, cooking in batches, until brown. Set aside. Add the onion and 2T of wine/vinegar to deglaze. Cook the onion until translucent and brown. Add onions to beef, setting aside. Add remaining 2T of butter and the mushrooms and dried herbs. Cook until brown. Add remaining wine/vinegar to deglaze. Make sure you cook it for a minute or two or your stroganoff could take on a purplish hue (not that there's anything wrong with that--not enough purple foods in the world, if you ask me). Add beef and onions back to pan and stir around. Add salt/pepper and sour cream. Adjust seasonings to taste. Pour over mashed potatoes, or eat as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment