Saturday, September 3, 2011

What To Expect

I'm new to the Paleo Diet and recommend reading The Paleo Diet by Dr. Loren Cordain. If I didn't have a full time job, it might be easier for me to stick to the principes Dr. Cordain outlines--but, I do, so I can't. And there's just some things that make life more fun and easier. Based on my research, all of the add-ons that Dr. Cordain wouldn't approve of are still within the Paleo parameters. Most importantly, my add-ons are still non-processed. So, here are the principles I follow:

No grains--none, this means no beer too
No processed food
No legumes
No soy*
No dairy*
No refined sugar*

Here are the caveats:

Whole milk. I use a little whole milk in cooking and my coffee. I buy the local milk sold at Metropolitan Market that is produced by a local Washington farmer. It's delicious.

Full fat plain Greek yogurt. Some Greek yogurt is allowed on the Paleo diet. I found that I got used to the whole milk variety--but it took some time. Usually, I only have it for breakfast two to three days a week, just so I don't get completely sick of eggs.

Grass-fed Kerrygold butter. Just for cooking. It's Irish and heavenly.

Raw goat or sheep milk cheese. Very, very rarely only in a dish that must have cheese.

Low sodium wheat-free tamari sauce (like soy sauce). Only if I'm making Asian food and it just has to be in there

Honey and pure maple syrup. Again, very rarely and only in baking if I must have a sweet treat.

Dark chocolate. 72% dark or higher. Actually, the 86% goes very nicely with red wine. Also delicious melted and drizzled over nuts. Sometimes, I just need some chocolate.

A note about snacks: figuring out what to snack on was the hardest part. I found that if I made myself eat fruit or mixed nuts in between breakfast/lunch and lunch/dinner, my need to snack virtually vanished. But, I still keep mixed nuts around, some deli meat and lots of Lara Bars (which are also great for a meal on the go).

A note about the meal plans: They start on Sunday night so that there is left-overs for lunch on Monday. This is how every day works--dinner becomes lunch the next day. So, if you're modifying portions, keep this in mind. I'll also put plan-ahead tips at the end of each day's plan. So, if you should prep something the night before to make the next day easier, it'll be there.

Weekend eating. So far, weekend eating hasn't been to hard to stick to the principles. On Saturdays and Sundays, I make a brunch with eggs, some kind of breakfast meat, and fruit. And we usually have a ton going on the rest of the time, so I just eat around things and haven't had a problem yet. Going out to eat and ordering Paleo is much easier than I thought. And avoiding the bread basket has been a sinch. At this point, the thought of putting bread in my mouth sounds icky. Plus, I'm going easy on myself and sticking to a 90/10 ratio of 90% on Paleo and 10% cheats--it's ok and I'm happy with my accomplishments.

Everything posted here is what I'm personally making and eating for the week. Many recipes I haven't tested--just found along the way. So, if there's a way to improve anything, if instructions didn't work, or any other suggestions, please let me know! I also regularly recycle some meals, so you'll see some things reappear (i.e. we love tacos in my house, so they make regular appearances).

Look, I'm no expert and have no formal nutrition training. But, what I do know, is that I feel better and am eating healthier than I ever have. This will be fun! I can't believe the change I've already experienced in my energy level, confidence, and love handles (they're slowly disappearing)! It's awesome. I can't believe I haven't been eating like this for forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment